SMS is a powerful communication tool that can help the education sector to quickly convey important messages to students, parents, teachers or other staff employees.
Currently, the mobile phone is the method of communication that accompanies us everywhere. It is the screen that we have more in sight, so it is the quickest, safest and most efficient method to have immediate and massive communication. SMS on the other hand, have a 98% open rate and are read within ninety seconds of delivery, they’re viewed by more of their target audience than any other form of mass communication.
SMS is, therefore, a great way for schools to make the most of a useful technology that can help smooth out the processes of contact in numerous ways.
How can Schools Use SMS Messages?
Bulk messaging SMS for schools has many more practical uses that can contribute to their efficient operation. Some use cases include;
- Sending out time sensitive SMS alerts and notices. For example school closure due to unforeseen circumstances like bad weather, accidents, excused absences and leaves, etc
- Rather than printing and distributing term dates, exam timetables and details of social activities, students can be sent SMS messages with all the information at their fingertips.
- Schools can also send students SMS messages with links to where they will find enrollment confirmations, course information, course materials or prompt them to make an appointment with their teachers or tutor.
- Sending out reminders of dates for future parent/teacher meetings. This will help increase parent involvement in their child’s education.
- Send out recommendations and information about school extracurricular activities that might require parents’ permission and to ensure that permission slips are received.
- SMS for schools can also be used for fundraising campaigns when a school wants to request donations from parents and staff working in the school.
- Schools can send quick messages on tuition fee related notification and to inform parents of any outstanding fees.
- Teachers and school administrators can be sent information regarding school schedules, notice of future staff meetings via SMS.
- Individual teachers can use the two-way SMS messaging service to conduct remote Q&A sessions with their students prior to examinations. You can read more two-way use cases here.
- Schools can use SMS to send parents notifications of students examination results and grades achieved in each assessment.
Benefits of SMS Messages To The Education Sector
SMS messages for the education sector can be incredibly useful. As well as being delivered almost instantaneously, SMS is a communication method that doesn’t require the newest technology to function. As long as the ones you intend to connect with have access to a mobile phone, be it a feature phone or smartphone, they will all be able to read and respond to your SMS.
Below are some of the key benefits of using SMS messages for schools;
- Fast and timely communications with parents, students and faculty members of the school
- Convenient channel to communicate urgent information to a large group of people such as cancellation and closer of school due to unforeseen emergencies
- SMS reminder for schools help reduces late application for new students, no show up to important events happening in school, late tuition fee payments etc
- Timely messaging about relevant information builds a strong relationship with staff, which will help students to get quality services.
- Communicating via SMS can feel personal and in the moment type of service which can be a great way to build a relationship with students, parents and staff members.
- Conveying information via SMS messaging is definitely the best way to attract and retain students and parents as it helps all parties to get informed at the right time which ultimately makes an educational environment more efficient and productive.
- Communicating via SMS can be cost effective than calling. Schools can save a lot of funds from their budget as they can segment their audience into groups or lists and easily contact them via SMS instead of calling.
- Through two-way SMS, schools can provide a friendly medium for productive dialogue between students or parents. Here, a school can set up automated responses for common school inquiries.
SMS messaging for the education sector is great for both internal and external communication among students, parents, and staff working in school, colleges and universities. SMS continues to boast extraordinary open rates with 98% of SMS being read within 90 seconds after delivery.
SMS messages are viewed by more of their target audience than any other form of mass communication like email, which usually takes up to about 90 minutes to view and respond. This goes on to show how effective SMS can be as an alternative in improving communication with students, parents and members. Correct information and dissemination done via SMS if applied appropriately can effortlessly yield incredible results for the education sector.
You can get started sending out educational content such as school updates, course instructions, important reminders and notices via SMS using the Bongo Live communication platform by registering for a free account here.